rpz testing -> shut down hung fetch while resolving

Havard Eidnes he at uninett.no
Sat Jan 28 12:02:51 UTC 2023

>> I recently made an upgrade of BIND to version 9.18.11 on our
>> resolver cluster, following the recent announcement.  Shortly
>> thereafter I received reports that the validation that lookups of
>> "known entries" in our quite small RPZ feed (it's around 1MB
>> on-disk) no longer succeeds as expected, but instead take a long
>> time, finally gives SRVFAIL to the client, and associated with
>> this we get this log message:
>>
>> Jan 26 18:41:27 xxx-res named[6179]: shut down hung fetch while resolving 'known-rpz-entry.no/A'
>
> This usually means there's a circular dependency somewhere in the
> resolution or validation process. For example, we can't resolve a name
> without looking up the address of a name server, but that lookup can't
> succeed until the original name is resolved. The two lookups will wait on
> each other for ten seconds, and then the whole query times out and issues
> that log message.
>
> The log message is new in 9.18, but the 10-second delay and SERVFAIL
> response would probably have happened in earlier releases as well.

This turned out to be related to the fact that we had configured
query forwarding from two of our nodes to two of the others with
the intention to build a larger central cache, and improve query
response time for the resolvers which did that forwarding.

Once I commented out the query forwarding, this problem no longer
occurred. Our forwarding config was of this form:

      forwarders {
              128.39.x.y;
              158.38.z.r;
      };
      // But if both are dead (unlikely), do resolution ourselves
      forward first;

This part is now commented out and I've done "rndc reconfig", and
the SERVFAIL responses to the "known rpz-blocked entries" no
longer occur.  But ... the two resolvers will now have to build a
cache of their own, and do not benefit from the cache built on
the two more "central" nodes.

Regards,

- Håvard