recursion yes/no?

David Carvalho david at di.ubi.pt
Wed Jan 25 10:37:10 UTC 2023

It helps a lot!!

I think I understand now.

Have a great day!

Regards

David

From: Greg Choules <gregchoules+bindusers at googlemail.com>
Sent: 25 January 2023 10:34
To: David Carvalho <david at di.ubi.pt>
Cc: bind-users at lists.isc.org
Subject: Re: recursion yes/no?

Hi David.

With "minimal-responses", usually I would set it to "no" for a purely authoritative server because resolvers need all the help they can get. But for a purely recursive server I would set it to "yes" because end users don't need (any wouldn't do anything with it anyway) Authority or Additional data. So a hybrid server is a bit stuck between those two settings.

However, from 9.16 BIND now has extra choices (as Evan pointed out). To answer your follow up question I would stick with "no-auth-recursive" as this is exactly the scenario it is designed for.

"dig" (by default, like all stub clients) will make recursive queries; i.e. RD=1. If your server has "minimal-responses no-auth-recursive;" set (or nothing at all since that's the default) then a vanilla query from dig will *not* receive anything it doesn't need to, just like real users. If you *want* to see all the Authority and Additional data then add "+norecurse" to your dig command, which causes it to set RD=0. Your server is then not being asked to do recursion, so it will just reply with everything (if anything) it has.

Hope that helps.
Greg