recursion yes/no?

David Carvalho david at di.ubi.pt
Tue Jan 24 16:48:34 UTC 2023

Hello.

I hope someone could help to understand the following.

I have "my.domain.pt" and a master and slave server for the "my" part. I
have been using "recursion yes" in both named.conf, as I want them to be
both authoritative and cache for my clients.

Last week I migrated my slave DNS server to version 9.16 and only today,
after having issues with the primary server migration, I realized that for
most queries, my slave DNS does not answer the "ADDITIONAL SECTION" unless I
specify "+norec" with the dig command.

My named.conf files only differ in IPs and "master/slave" setting.

My questions:

Should I use recursion on both? (Bear in mind that I also want them to
provide chache to clients)

Why do I need "dig +norec" to get the exact output on my slave server?

Kind regards

David