"not exact" error message

Havard Eidnes he at uninett.no
Sat Jan 21 22:54:43 UTC 2023

> The consistency checks are not new. The message indicates that
> the IXFR contained a delete request for a record that doesn't
> exist or an add for a record that exists. Named recovers be
> performing an AXFR of the zone.

Interesting.

BIND 9.16.36 does not produce this log message, so it was easy to
be misled to conclude that this was a new consistency check.
Does 9.16.36 and 9.18.10 behave differently in terms of their
usage of IXFR?

The log message BIND 9.18.10 produces does not mention IXFR or
that it's going to fallback to AXFR.  I mis-interpreted it as a
fatal error message, and downgraded to BIND 9.16.36 without
verifying whether 9.18.10 actually worked as intended anyway (it
does, I just re-instaled 9.18.10 and re-signed a zone and
verified that it makes it through).

Regards,

- Håvard