Views vs Separate Authoritative & Recursive DNS

E R fasteddieinaustin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 01:14:38 UTC 2023

New to BIND and just starting to read the 5th edition from O'Reilly after
watching some videos online while it made its way to me.  I am trying to
understand why the view statement appears to be included by default in most
Linux distributions if best practice says you should have separate servers
for each?  Based on the comments in the named.conf sample file I am
inclined to remove all of the view statements so it operates in "default
view" on new servers I am setting up to replace old ones.  Is the view
statement just there for those who need to ignore best practices or am I
missing something?