Email migration and MX records

John W. Blue john.blue at rrcic.com
Wed Jan 4 00:51:37 UTC 2023

Hi Bruce,

It would be better to have an SMTP server return 421 "4.3.0" or 421 "4.7.0" while the migration is under way instead of bouncing the connection.  421 will tell all SMTP servers everywhere to "try again later".  The 421 error is a proven greylisting configuration.

Not knowing what is all involved with the actual migration, another option might be something as simple as putting the prod Barracuda server(s) into "maintenance mode".  If that will prevent the migration from happening perhaps Barracuda can spin up an SMTP server that only answers with 421.  Or, if you all are able, you could roll your own SMTP server to answer 421.

Obviously standard do-not-test-in-prod, don’t wing it and hope for the best .. have a step-by-step playbook disclaimers apply and there is nothing wrong with a lower TTL of 60 seconds or less to facilitate reverting.

John