Email migration and MX records

Bruce Johnson johnson at Pharmacy.Arizona.EDU
Tue Jan 3 21:31:39 UTC 2023

We’re making an O365 tenant switchover for our domain (a subdomain of the arizona.edu domain) and moving from our Barracuda cloud email SMTP to the University’s tenant, but email cannot flow until the Arizona.edu O365 tenant can take over our email domain.

In anticipation I set our TTL for MX records quite low before the break (150 seconds) so, but the process may take up to an hour (if everything goes well )

Will setting our mx record to a bogus address cause email to bounce on the sending end and eventually get retried later after the mx record has been properly set to the Universities main smtp MX address?

Or are we approaching this in the wrong way?  Basically our end result is we want to stop accepting email from anywhere until the whole process has been changed and we have established the correct route so email starts flowing correctly.

As it’s been explained to me the main campus tenant cannot start accepting email for our domain  until we’ve transferred the email domain between tenants, so we cannot just change the MX record in our DNS server to the University’s (a Cisco Ironport setup)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona