named out of swap on NetBSD/amd64

Michal Nowak mnowak at isc.org
Tue Feb 14 18:34:13 UTC 2023

On 14/02/2023 16:09, Jan Schaumann via bind-users wrote:
> I'm guessing that without a set 'max-cache-size', this
> continues to grow until there is no more memory space
> left, we start swapping, and eventually get OOM
> killed.
>
> https://bind9.readthedocs.io/en/v9_18_11/reference.html
> claims that the default 'max-cache-size' is 90% of
> physical memory, but it seems that didn't work out
> here.  Might it be that on NetBSD, bind doesn't
> correctly determine the physical memory amount?

In your named log you may see a "max-cache-size" calculation like the
one below (I don't have "max-cache-size" set in the config explicitly,
implicit value of "90%" is used):

     'max-cache-size 90%' - setting to 1729MB (out of 1922MB)

It's from a 2 GB Linux cloud (KVM) instance and looking at the "free -m"
command output, it makes sense.

Do you see a calculation for your system? Does it make sense?

Michal