Resolve some hosts thats are dnssec signed differently

Matthias Fechner idefix at fechner.net
Tue Feb 7 06:45:41 UTC 2023

Hi Darren, Hi Nick,

at first thanks a lot for your answer.
I see that I have not explained my use-case detailed enough.
I have bind running for domain fechner.net, but not at home and this
server I think is here completely out of discussion.
If I must not touch it, I do not want to touch it as it would see the
traffic from my local computer from home like any other computer in the
internet and I do not want to open it in any way and it should not know
the setup of my local network at home.

At home I have a bind running. It serves some local zones I use here
internally and is forwarding all requests to the DNS server my provider
is providing.
It is not connected in any way to my bind servers running for domain
fechner.net.

The public IP address (idefix.fechner.net) is due to this routing, NAT
and openvpn not visible on any of my interfaces on my home server.

So if I would like to access idefix.fechner.net it makes a DNS lookup
which returns the A record for idefix.fechner.net and it sees it does
not belong to my interface so it uses the default gateway to go to my
internet provider. It reaches my server in the internet, is routed into
the openvpn tunnel and goes through my local firewall through a policy
based NAT to a local IP (192.168.200.x). So you see that is not very
efficient.

My idea was to hook into the DNS and make sure to not return the IPv4
address 195.30.95.36, but 192.168.0.1 (as all my devices at home are
using my local bind here for lookup).

I hope that explain it better what I would like to solve.

Matthias

Am 07.02.2023 um 07:48 schrieb Nick Tait via bind-users:

> Hi Matthias.
>
> It isn't clear whether the issue you're trying to solve is (a)
> avoiding DNS resolution going out then in to get to your authoritative
> servers, or (b) with resolved addresses of your servers being the
> public address which means that data packets sent to/from those
> servers are going out then in to get to them?
>
> It looks like Darren has assumed (a)? If that is correct then it is
> worth noting that using forwarders like this will require your
> authoritative servers to answer recursive queries. If that is
> undesirable, you might want to look at using "mirror" zones on your
> recursive resolvers? I haven't personally used zones of this type, but
> according to the documentation, this has following advantage over
> using "secondary" zones to achieve the same thing: /Answers coming
> from a mirror zone look almost exactly like answers from a zone of
> type //|secondary|//, with the notable exceptions that the AA bit
> (“authoritative answer”) is not set, and the AD bit (“authenticated
> data”) is./
>
> However I suspect your issue is actually (b), in which case I'd
> suggest using views to serve two versions of your zone file - one with
> public IP addresses that is served to external clients, and one with
> private IP addresses that is served to internal clients only, along
> the lines of the following:
>
> # View containing zone with public IP addresses.
> view "public" {
>      match-clients { ... };
>
>      zone "fechner.net" {
>          type primary;
>          file "../master/fechner.net/*public-*fechner.net";
>          dnssec-policy "one-year-zsk";
>          inline-signing yes;
>      };
> };
>
> # View containing zone with private IP addresses.
> view "private" {
>      match-clients { ... };
>
>      zone "fechner.net" {
>          type primary;
>          file "../master/fechner.net/*private-*fechner.net";
>          dnssec-policy "one-year-zsk";
>          inline-signing yes;
>      };
> };
>
> The two copies of the zone are signed using the same keys.
>
> For the sake of simplicity I've glossed over the details of
> replicating the two different copies of the zone to your secondary DNS
> servers, but the general idea is to have the secondaries use different
> TSIG signatures for transferring each copy, and have the
> "match-clients" use the TSIG key to figure out which view they are
> talking to. Let me know if you need more info about how to set this up?
>
> Nick.
>

> On 6/02/23 01:08, Darren Ankney wrote:
>> Matthias,
>>
>> This is what I did to force my resolver bind instance to lookup my
>> internal domain directly on my authoritative bind instance without
>> asking any other servers (would have failed anyway as it is a fake
> [...]

Gruß
Matthias

Rich Cook