Problems with openssl pkgconfig in bind 9.18.21 (but probably all 9.18)

William D. Colburn wcolburn at nrao.edu
Fri Dec 22 15:14:14 UTC 2023

I'm compiling bind 9.18.21 on RHEL 6.10.  I had to make my own libuv and
openssl packages (and I still need a jemalloc package).  I told bind
about them via the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable, which mostly works.  The
problem is in bind-9.18.21/doc/misc which doesn't seem to receive any
information from the build system about the location of where openssl
is.  I got around it by adding an LD_LIBRARY_PATH= to the initial make
command that pointed into where I had installed openssl 3.2.0, but that's a
little fragile.  It also means I don't know if doc/misc is the only
place with this problem.

And no, I can't just upgrade the computer.  But we did manage to
decomission a vendor bind on a Sun workstation in a jungle on an island
in the Pacific ocean a couple of months ago, so you can take some joy
from that.  :)

I never what or how much information to send and I always get it wrong,
so I'll just wait for Ondrej (I have no idea how to type that correctly)
to chastise me and then forward on whatever else you need.  Also :)

--Schlake
  Sysadmin IV, NRAO
  Work: 575-835-7281 (BACK IN THE OFFICE!)
  Cell: 575-517-5668 (out of work hours)