How do I debug if the queries are not getting resolved?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Dec 12 02:41:19 UTC 2023

On 12/11/23 18:47, Blason R wrote:
> Oh I forgot to tell you that. This is BIND RPZ and all the queries are
> recursive.

Okay, what RPZ configuration do you have?  Is it messing with the
queries you're testing in any way?

What configuration do you have for RPZ related to DNSSEC?

> Dig output just dies out and does not spit anything.

Please elaborate on "just dies".  Does the dig abort / terminate / fail
and immediately return you to a command prompt?  Or does it simply take
longer than you are allowing it to run?

What happens if you allow dig to run for 5-8 minutes?  It should timeout
sometime long before 8 minutes and print something germane to the terminal.

I think that a network sniffer while running dig tests above is a very
helpful thing.  #trustTheBitsOnTheWire

> And this specifically i noticed with .gov and .gov.in <http://gov.in>
> domain. This is the reason I thing it might be related with DNSSEC.

RPZ and DNSSEC have an interesting relationship.

What happens if you do a `\dig +trace` on the name you're testing?

N.B. the leading backslash is important to disable any local shell aliasing.

Also, `which dig` to confirm that you are running the binary that you
think you are running.

> Also wanted to understand overall how do I debug any queries.

Something somewhere will give you diagnostically relevant data.  You
need to find it and understand it.  Even strace / dtrace on dig will be
helpful at times.

There's a possibility that there is a missing library and dig can't even
run.  But that's unlikely -- but not impossible -- with dig installed
via standard repo commands.

--
Grant. . . .