Value of a DNSSEC validating resolver

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Dec 3 02:45:32 UTC 2023

Clients need to send both cd=0 and cd=1 queries. The two types of queries address different failure scenarios.

I tried hard to prevent the stupid just send cd=1 advice before it was published.  Years before there was a wish to reduce the amount of work a validating resolver does. There was bad advice from that and the WG chair refused to reopen the issue.

CD=1 addresses bad clocks and trust anchors in resolvers. CD=0 addresses bad authoritative servers and spoofed responses.  You can start with either and try the other when validation fails.

--
Mark Andrews