Zone stats

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Aug 21 22:55:55 UTC 2023

On 8/21/23 10:11 AM, Mark Elkins via bind-users wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> 1) Count how many delegated domains there are (Names with NS records)

Mind your $ORIGIN and check the number of NS record owners.

> 2) Extract the above Names - so I can look for changes (Added/Deleted names)

I suspect that deltas; add / change / delete, will likely be outside of
the scope of what bind will provide unless you crank up logging and
parse it or behave as an incremental zone transfer client.

> 3) find out how many unique names have DS records (I can DIG I suppose)

Mind your $ORIGIN and check the number of DS record owners.

> I'd also like to spot broken stuff (named-checkzone ?)

How are you getting your zone data?  Is it a zone transfer (AXFR /
IXFR)?  Or do you have raw zone files?

> One hindrance is that journal files are present - so it is not just the
> zone file but the zone.jnl file as well.

Check out the "-clean" flag to the "sync" command for rndc.

> The primary purpose is to pull in data into an (ICANN requested) African
> DNS Observatory.

It sounds like you might be better off extracting data for multiple
zones / (sub)domains therein from DNS and storing it in some format,
likely a database, that will then be easier to process.

Grant. . . .