monitoring BIND

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Fri Aug 4 06:33:53 UTC 2023

> On 3 Aug 2023, at 17:07, sami.rahal at sofrecom.com wrote:
>
>  Hello comunity
> please what is the most recommended tool for BIND monitoring and especially display response time and latency thank you in advance.

For latency, your friend is Dnstap. The implementation on Bind is superb. When Dnstap reports a RESOLVER_RESPONSE event
it includes *both* the query timestamp and the received response timestamp. It doesn´t work on CLIENT_REPONSE right now,
although it may with a small caveat (I am going to lobby a bit: issue 3695).

Other DNS servers are not so complete so you should keep track of those timestamps yourself.

Borja.