Dynamic updates to multiple masters

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Aug 2 07:37:40 UTC 2023

On 02.08.23 11:53, Shailendra Gautam wrote:
>I have four authoritative dns servers, all running in master mode for my
>zone for high availability, currently they all pull a static zonefile. I'm
>trying to implement dynamic updates but I am wondering if there is any way
>to avoid sending an update to each of them, and send the update only once
>and it should sync to all 4. Would like to know if anyone has faced this
>problem before.

Microsoft's AD supports something like this, the domains are kind of
synchronized between servers.

As a downside, when using AD server as primary for zones in AD, you can't
use multiple servers as the zones are often not in sync.

I would either create hidden primary that would process dynamic updates.
For DNSSEC and inline signing, hidden primary looks as best option to me.