DNSSEC and forward zone

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Fri Apr 21 09:59:26 UTC 2023

Would it make sense to create a subdomain for internal use, but have the
main zone signed with external records only? Is it possible to make
changes to names?

Can you make for example in.ubi.pt just internal only, not accessible
from outside?

If you want to have your external zone signed with DNSSEC, then internal
zone has to be signed with DNSSEC too. You can workaround different KSK
keys by adding trust anchor to all your validating resolvers. A bit
better solution would be adding DS record to parent pt zone also for
internal KSK key.

If you make internalsite2.ubi.pt unsigned zone, with own NS and SOA,
then it can be not signed, when the main ubi.pt zone is. But the
indication from the parent has to match. Both zones have to be signed or
none. Internal zone would work too with trust-anchor explicitly added to
your resolvers. Unless you want to ignore your own zone signatures,
internal zone should be signed too.