Is it possible to upgrade bind from 9.11 to 9.18 directly?

Saleck saleck at albatani.cz
Thu Apr 20 16:26:10 UTC 2023

Hi,

we are currently running several bind 9.11 servers on Debian buster machines. We would
like to upgrade and wonder if we could skip version 9.16 altogether or if it's a necessary
middle step.

We have read both

https://kb.isc.org/docs/changes-to-be-aware-of-when-moving-from-911-to-916[1]

and

https://kb.isc.org/docs/changes-to-be-aware-of-when-moving-from-bind-916-to-918[2]

and it looks like there should be nothing that would break (we use only text and raw zone
file types) if we did the direct 9.11 to 9.18 upgrade. But better be safe then sorry.
Therefore we are seeking advice. ;)

If it's possible, can anyone confirm zone transfers from master to slave would still work
even if the servers ran different major versions? I know we won't be able to use TLS until
both servers would run 9.18 but would the regular transfers still work?

It would help us a great deal if anyone could confirm this or (and) warn us if there is
something that we are missing in our assessment.

Kind regards,
David Bruha

--------
[1] https://kb.isc.org/docs/changes-to-be-aware-of-when-moving-from-911-to-916