Reverse Policy Zone to make MS Azure stuff work?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Thu Apr 13 22:28:24 UTC 2023

Due to a requirement to use something Microsoft crafted, we are being
asked to assert (internally) authority over 3rd-level names under
appserviceenvironment.net

I've pushed back on this, because I don't think it's nice to publish
"authoritative" answers in domains we have not been delegated. But I'm
told it's all ok, because Microsoft says its ok* Having accepted that
the ship has sailed, it's now a question of how to deliver such answers.

One obvious way is to define a zone for each 3rd level under
appserviceenvironment.net, and publish them in a way our resolvers can
find them. In the absence of catalog-zones, this could be a lot of
additional work (for me).

Then I wondered if adding these 'hijacked' names to our RPZ would meet
the need. I first thought, "Yeah. It'll work.", but then I re-read the
statement from MS saying each 3rd level was going to need to have a 4th
level zone defined. A zone definition requires at least an SOA and NS
record  . . and last time I checked, an RPZ would not deliver an NS
record. So it seems that idea may be squashed.

Who else has need to publish locally-defined appserviceenvironment.net
names? Were you able to do it with your RPZ?

*
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/environment/create-ilb-ase

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov