Fully automated DNSSEC with BIND 9.16

David Carvalho david at di.ubi.pt
Tue Apr 11 10:02:08 UTC 2023

Hello, hope everyone is fine.

So it seems that going to Bind version 9.16 was the right call as it
simplifies DNSSEC a lot.

Nevertheless, I would like to clarify some things because our organization
has a parent domain and I host my own e-mail servers. I know they had
problems while implementing DNSSEC on the top domain, and some
configurations had to be made to let subdomain e-mail servers to still work
after DNSSEC.

Following RedHat tutorial, all I had to do was add "dnssec-policy default;"
into one of my zones for testing purposes. I'm not testing Reverse zones
yet.

After this, 3 files "Kmy.domain***" were created:

".key"

".private"

".state".

Three  files regarding my zone were also created:

My.domain.signed

And the following 2, which I'm not sure what their purpose is

My.domain.jbk and my.domain.signed.jnl

There are also "managed-keys.bind" and "managed-keys.bind.jnl"

My questions:

1.	Everytime I restart the service, it seems all these files are
recreated.  Does this mean that every time I make a change in the host zone,
I need resend the public key to my top domain?
2.	Do Parental Agents help with this?
3.	Which format should I use when providing the key to the top level
domain?

         dnssec-dsfromkey /var/named/Kexample.com.+013+61141.key

or

         grep DNSKEY /var/named/Kexample.com.+013+61141.key

Kind regards

David Carvalho