BIND | Cname chain resolution using forward ( CNAME&A returned but no use A) (#3995)

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Tue Apr 4 10:05:04 UTC 2023

That is because forwarder is supposed to handle only zone
"bd.baidubce.com.", but addresses response is from bd.bcebos.com zone.
Therefore it queries contents of that according to global forwarders or
iteratively. BIND9 attempts to deliver the most authoritative answer it
can, so it ignores hints from server not authoritative for it. I do not
know a way to disable such behavior. Dns caches such as dnsmasq would
forward the reply as it is, but bind uses zones with authoritative
servers preferred. It does so to prevent unrelated servers pushing
invalid answers into your cache.

Workaround might be to forward also bd.bcebos.com. zone to the same
server. Can you share why should it return different addresses than the
authoritative servers offers?

I think if you need to override some addresses, RPZ might help you. At
least you would have a list of rules where the answer is modified. I
think most proper servers do it this way without ability to change the
behavior.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Petr