automatic reverse and forwarding zones

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Thu Oct 27 09:51:15 UTC 2022

Havard Eidnes via bind-users <bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:
    >    To "fill" an ip6.arpa zone for a /64 requires 18446744073709551616
    > records (yes, that's about 18 x 10^18 if my math isn't off).  I predict
    > you do not posess a machine capable of running BIND with that many
    > records loaded -- I know we don't.

It sure would be nice to be able to set some kind of default (static) answer for
reverse zones.  While it has limited useability for IPv4, it would actually
be nice, and it seems a win for IPv6 reverse.

It probably does not play well with DNSSEC, although I was thinking about
whether some amount of wildcards in the signed reverse could help, but I
don't think so.