A beginner's guide to DNSSEC with BIND 9

Richard T.A. Neal richard at richardneal.com
Tue Oct 18 01:59:10 UTC 2022

For some time now I've been wanting to create my first DNSSEC-enabled zone, but I struggled to find an up-to-date guide that would walk me through the process. So to that end I finally bit the bullet and spent some time this weekend creating my first DNSSEC zone and writing a HOWTO article along the way: A Beginner's Guide to DNSSEC with BIND 9.

If anyone else on this list has been as reticent as me to dip their toe in the DNSSEC waters then now might be the time - it's actually quite a simple process provided you follow the instructions carefully and watch your log files for any errors along the way. I've published my HOWTO guide here: https://www.talkdns.com/articles/a-beginners-guide-to-dnssec-with-bind-9/

If any DNSSEC experts have a moment to read over the guide I would be very grateful for any comments or corrections, most especially if I have made any errors in terminology or fundamental DNSSEC concepts. My guide doesn't (yet!) touch on key rollover nor trust anchors, and to be honest I don't presently understand either of those topics, so that'll be the focus of a future update.

Best,

Richard.