Question About Internal Recursive Resolvers

Bob McDonald bmcdonaldjr at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 20:03:29 UTC 2022

OK, if a known client accesses DNS on the internal network, that
client is pointed at a recursive resolver (e.g by DHCP). That resolver
either provides access to the internal DNS zones (e.g. via stub zones)
or sends the client query to the root servers on the internet. An
unknown client (e.g. guest WiFi) will be given the same resolver
address for its DNS server. At this point it would require ACLs to
prevent that unknown client from accessing the internal DNS zones. All
DNS traffic from that client would be sent to the internet.

Another way to achieve that would be to have a separate set of DNS
resolvers for unknown clients (resolver addresses handed out via
DHCP). That's my current view of how to get things done in this case.

What I'm discerning from the discussion so far is that this isn't
strictly necessary. The internal DNS zones can/should reside on the
recursive resolvers. The question of unknown client access to internal
DNS zones is resolved (no pun intended...).

RPZ COULD be implemented on ANY of the recursive DNS resolvers.

The tsig key discussion is around its use as a method of allowing
updates to internal DNS zones. Strictly hypothetical. Don't get hung
up on it.

Thank you all for the information. You've provided answers to my
questions and have renewed my faith in geekdom.

If anyone is still confused, I'd be glad to discuss this offline until
we have a final solution. Then we can publish if necessary.

Bob