Question About Internal Recursive Resolvers

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sat Oct 15 17:50:55 UTC 2022

> If you are an ISP/registry/DNS provider, it makes sense to separate
> authoritative zones for your clients' domains, for all those cases your
> client move their domains somewhere else without notifying you (hell,
> they do that too often), or to be able to prepare moving domains to your
> servers.

#truth

> forward zones     - named sends recursive query to the primary servers
> stub zones        - named fetches NS records from primary servers and
> uses them for resolution
> static-stub zones - named forwards iterative (non-recursive) requests to
> primary servers
>
> clients accessing any of these zones must have recursion allowed and
> recursion must be enabled in BIND.

Please clarify where recursion needs to be allowed; the BIND server
clients are talking to and / or the back end server that BIND is talking
to on the client's behalf.

I'm not completely clear and I think it's better to ask than to assume
incorrectly.

> On 10/15/22 10:03 AM, Bob McDonald wrote:
>> If a non-secure client (read the next sentence...) accesses the same
>> recursive server as a regular client, it will have access to the
>> internal zones by default.. Therefore we need to have some sort of
>> access controls in place.
> and THIS is exactly the reason you SHOULD put your internal zones on
> your internal server.

Sorry if I'm being particularly dense this morning, but I'm not
following ~> understanding Bob's and Matus's statements like I want to.

How does hosting the zone on an internal server provide any additional
security?  Or are you simply relying on other security mechanisms to
prevent non-secure clients -- as Bob described them -- from accessing
the server ~> zone?

I feel like, by default -- as Bob described, any hosted zone is going to
be accessible by any client that can query the server.

With this in mind, I feel like the type of zone; primary / secondary /
mirror / stub / static-stub / forward, makes little difference in and of
itself.  Rather, it would be dependent on global and / or per-zone
allow-* statements to protect the server / zone(s) at the BIND
application level.

Does that make sense?

What am I missing / misunderstanding?

> that's why we are here.