Question About Internal Recursive Resolvers

Bob McDonald bmcdonaldjr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 16:08:24 UTC 2022

I'm thinking about redesigning an internal DNS environment. To begin
with, all internal DNS zones would reside on non-recursive servers
only. That said, all clients would connect to recursive resolvers.

The question is this; do I use an internal root with pointers to the
internal zones (as well as the outside DNS world) or do I include stub
zones to point at the non-recursive internal servers?

Access to the internal DNS zones would be controlled by location.
(e.g. guest WiFi devices would NOT have access to internal DNS
zones...)

Recursive resolvers would allow implementation of features such as RPZ, etc.

Regards,

Bob