Dig -x +trace?

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 20:07:17 UTC 2022

On Mon, Oct 3, 2022 at 1:59 PM Ondřej Surý <ondrej at isc.org> wrote:

> > - If you are debugging an active issue with an externally published
> domain, providing the full domain name allows others to query it in order
> to help you. Omitting, changing, or obscuring the domain can make it harder
> or impossible for others to help you.
>
> Anonymizing your question to the public open source list actually prevents
> people from helping you, and is disrespectful because you are asking for
> help for free but unwilling to contribute back at least with real data.

I disagree. I believe it to be more disrespectful to demand that someone
who cares about privacy, give the info that removes said privacy.
I should have been very explicit in my question then:

"Why does invoking dig multiple times return different results than
expected"

and the answer i got of:

 'your version is buggy, get a proper version' seems to be the right answer
to that.

I'm still angry at ubuntu for pushing non-working software. I will take
this up with them, if after I take the time to compile your current
sources, I see significant improvement of my issue.

> Also please tone down on the snarkiness. I get it that you might be
> frustrated, but this mailing list is not a place to vent off your
> frustration.

I'm more frustrated by the answer to "stop obfuscating so we can help" ; I
did not initially ask the question "why is my delegation not working" i
asked "why is dig not working".

Mike