Add TXT records for SPF when CNAME exists in same sub-domain

Chris Liesfield chris.liesfield at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 00:03:14 UTC 2022

Hi All. Hopefully my terminology is correct and I make sense.

We have a main domain "something.com.au" with a few sub-domains, "this",
"that", etc.

For all of our 'A' records in something.com.au, we have specified TXT
records for SPF, however our sub-domains contain CNAMEs only.

It appears TXT and CNAME records for the same string/host cannot co-exist.
We are able to specify an SPF record for the origin only in each sub-domain.

Open to any suggestions on how to get around this issue.

Thanks in advance.

$TTL 3600
@                       IN      SOA  something.com.au. bofh.something.com.au.
(
                                        2022112901 ; serial
                                        10800      ; refresh (3 hours)
                                        3600       ; retry (1 hour)
                                        604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                        3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
                                        )
                        NS      ns1.something.com.au.
                        NS      ns2.something.com.au.
                        MX      10 mail.something.com.au.

; A Records

localhost               A       127.0.0.1
www                   A       1.2.3.4
@ IN      A       1.2.3.4

; SPF records

; working without a problem.
www                     TXT     "v=spf1 -all"

$ORIGIN this.something.com.au.
$TTL 3600       ; 1 hour
www                     CNAME   stuff.somewhereelse.com.au.
@                       CNAME   stuff.somewhereelse.com.au.

; SPF records

; BIND considers this an invalid statement - no corresponding 'A' record -
conflict with CNAME?
www                     TXT     "v=spf1 -all"
; working without a problem.
@                       TXT     "v=spf1 -all"

$ORIGIN that.something.com.au.
$TTL 3600       ; 1 hour
www                     CNAME   stuff.overthere.com.au.

--
Chris.