Dnstap CLIENT_RESPONSE and query time information

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Wed Nov 23 09:09:40 UTC 2022

Hi,

I am working on some DNS monitoring using Dnstap. I have noticed that RR messages include
*both* the query time and response time but, despite being recommended on the Protobuf
specification (I know, it’s just a recommendation!) the CR messages do not include it.

Is there any particular reason for it? Looking at lib/dnstap.c, there is a switch clause which
especifically prevents Dnstap message types other than RR and FR from obtaining
a query time.

It would be really useful to have that information available. But I am not sure whether
there is any particular reason not to include it. Maybe avoiding an additional system call?

Thanks!

Borja.