CH/TXT/VERSION.SERVER queries

Ray Bellis ray at isc.org
Mon Nov 21 22:05:05 UTC 2022

On 21/11/2022 17:26, Petr Špaček wrote:
> Speaking of default CHAOS zones, I have another idea:
>
> Do we need them after NSID was standardized?

Yes.

> There is a lot of special code just for built-in CH zones, and IIRC
> we have had at least one CVE which affected default config only
> because of default CH usage.
>
> Anand, what would be missing if special magic for CH is removed and
> you are left with standard NSID?

We'd need to retool every system that relies on hostname.bind queries
working on the root system, for a start.  RIPE Atlas probes use these
queries, and there are several systems (our own included) that work off
this data.

For other researchers, automated queries for hostname.bind (or
hostname.server) are trivially excluded from analysis of query data
based on the QNAME, whereas any query might include an NSID option.

Also, *.server CH TXT is actually in an RFC (4892).  Nothing has
obsoleted that, and I'd object loudly if anyone tried ;-

Ray