Inconsistent Behavior with 'forward first'

Petr Špaček pspacek at isc.org
Tue Nov 15 13:33:07 UTC 2022

On 15. 11. 22 9:47, Chad Philip Johnson via bind-users wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I've been chasing my tail over a strange configuration issue and was
> hoping somebody could point me in the right direction.
>
> I have two forwarders defined in my main 'options' section, but when
> 'forward first' is enabled all lookups go to the root servers as if
> forwarding is completely disabled. This behavior is also the same for
> name lookups that exist in locally defined zones.
>
> When I change the configuration to 'forward only', lookup requests are
> forwarded and resolved properly, but of course lookup through the root
> servers is no longer available.
>
> Four systems are exhibiting this issue: two running Rocky Linux 8 with
> BIND 9.11.26-RedHat-9.11.26-6.el8 (Extended Support Version)
> <id:3ff8620>, and two running Rocky Linux 9 with BIND 9.16.23-RH
> (Extended Support Version) <id:fde3b1f>.
>
> My configuration is pretty straightforward and I'm someone who (mostly)
> knows what he's doing. That said, I might be missing something obvious,
> or looking at an important detail a bit cross-eyed. I have spent some
> time searching through various BIND resources and bug reports. I also
> combed through a few dozen old messages on this mailing list.
>
> If I'm being too brief on configuration details then I can share any and
> all relevant information, I just didn't want to dump potentially
> extraneous information into this message.

It would be much easier to debug with configuration file :-)

Please include at least options {} and zone {} configuration for one of
the zones which is giving you trouble.

If your config has overlapping subtrees then please include all zone {}
definitions from top down.

--
Petr Špaček
Internet Systems Consortium