Deprecating auto-dnssec and inline-signing in 9.18+

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at isc.org
Mon Nov 14 09:47:03 UTC 2022

FYI: We are going forward with deprecating 'auto-dnssec' in 9.18+.

We might deprecate 'inline-signing' too in 9.18, but only if we have
implemented the replacement code to configure it inside 'dnssec-policy'
in time.

After last year's discussion on this mailing list I initially wanted to
make creating keys inside the HSM work with dnssec-policy. But the
OpenSSL pkcs#11 engine has no capability to do so. Now we are
transitioning to OpenSSL 3.0 and the engine API is being replaced with
the provider API, this task has become even more challenging.

But since there is functional parity between 'dnssec-policy' and
'auto-dnssec', we decided that it is acceptable to deprecate the legacy
style of DNSSEC maintenance.

You can configure dnssec-policy to do no key rollover (and do key
maintenance/rotation in a different way) as follows:

dnssec-policy "no-auto-rotate" {
     keys {
         ksk lifetime unlimited algorithm 13;
         zsk lifetime unlimited algorithm 13;