Reverse lookups not working when Internet connection failed.

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Nov 7 11:10:39 UTC 2022

On 06.11.22 20:05, Grant Taylor via bind-users wrote:
>Is this 3rd step documented somewhere?
>I searched for it in RFC 2317 but didn't find it.  Maybe I over looked it.

This step is not necessary for classless reverse DNS delegation.

This step is however necessary for OP's DNS server being able to reverse
resolve its own IP range, when its connectivity is down (this the OP's
question), because OP's clients will try to resolve names in
66.136.193.in-addr.arpa.

>>alternatively they can choose to 0/28.66.136.193.in-addr.arpa. or
>>0-15.66.136.193.in-addr.arpa.  instead of
>>0-28.66.136.193.in-addr.arpa.
>
>N.B. I've had some problems with the forward slash character "/" in
>domain names multiple times in the past.  I'd stick with the hyphen
>"-" for compatibility.

I've had no problem with that one in the past.
TMTOWTDI