BIND DNS Server named.conf and chroot error after upgrading Virtualmin

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming tdtemccnp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 02:37:31 UTC 2022

Subject: BIND DNS Server named.conf and chroot error after upgrading
Virtualmin

Good day from Singapore,

I have upgraded Virtualmin web hosting control panel Master Server to the
following versions on the evening of 1st Nov 2022 Tuesday.

Webmin version: 2.001
Virtualmin version: 7.3
Usermin version: 1.860
Authentic theme version: 20.01.1:5

However, after the Virtualmin and Webmin upgrade, I get the following error
messages.

Information!

Virtualmin's configuration has not been checked since it was last updated.
Click the button below to verify it now.
Button: Re-check and refresh configuration

Checking Configuration
=======================

The status of your system is being checked to ensure that all enabled
features are available and properly configured ..
Your system has 7.63 GiB of memory, which is at or above the Virtualmin
recommended minimum of 256 MiB
The BIND DNS server version 8 or 9 does not appear to be installed on your
system, or has not yet been set up properly in Webmin's BIND DNS Server
module. If your system does not use BIND, it should be disabled in
Virtualmin's module configuration page

 .. your system is not ready for use by Virtualmin

Then I navigate to Webmin > Servers > BIND DNS Server. It says:

The primary configuration file for BIND /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
does not exist, or is not valid. Create it?

-  Setup nameserver for internal non-internet use only
-  Setup as an internet name server, and download root server information
-  Setup as an internet name server, but use Webmin's older root server
information

Button: Create Primary Configuration File and Start Nameserver

All along, ever since the initial deployment of my Virtualmin web hosting
control panel on 18 Oct 2021, I have never run BIND DNS Server in a chroot
environment. After upgrading Virtualmin last night, the configuration was
suddenly and unexpectedly changed to running BIND DNS Server in a chroot
environment. I have no idea why and what happened.

So I did a Google search and found the following discussion threads.

[1] BIND DNS Server is uninstalled after the last upgrade
Link: https://archive.virtualmin.com/node/32314

[2] Prevent OS updates from chrooting Bind
Link: https://archive.virtualmin.com/node/53785

Solution
=========

After reading through the above discussion threads, I have solved the
problem by performing the following steps.

Click Webmin > Servers > BIND DNS Server

Click Module config at the top left hand corner.

Chroot directory to run BIND under: choose None

Is named.conf under chroot directory? choose No

Click Save.

And now BIND DNS Server should be back running normally, without chroot
environment. It will revert back to using /etc/named.conf and zone files in
/var/named.

Problem solved! I hope this guide is useful to you.

Regards,

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Targeted Individual in Singapore
Blogs: