Primary zone not fully maintained by BIND

Jan-Piet Mens list at mens.de
Tue May 24 18:57:36 UTC 2022

>    dnssec-policy default;

Slightly off-topic, but I believe ISC reccomend using a custom policy instead
of `default' in case the default changes in future.

>view "internal" {
>    zone "penguinpee.nl" {
>        type    primary;
>        file    "dynamic/penguinpee.nl.internal.zone";
>    };
>};
>
>view "external" {
>    zone "penguinpee.nl" {
>        type            primary;
>        file            "master/penguinpee.nl.zone";
>    };
>};

>Using delv, the internal view of the zone fully validated, for SOA, A,
>AAAA etc.

That surprises me a bit; I've always maintained BIND will not validate a
DNSSEC-signed zone it is authoritative for. Unless you mean RRSIGs were
still valid.

>I thought that with 'dnssec-policy default' BIND would take care of
>it. Upon updating the zone, increase the serial number and tell named
>with 'rndc reload zone'. What am I missing?

BIND should be signing the zone(s) with dnssec-policy, yes, and the
dynamically-updateable zone will be signed on  update and SOA serial
increased automatically.

I wonder whether it's getting confused (can software get confused? I suppose
so) with the two identically-named zones. If this were my installation and
I had to use views, I'd try specifying distinct policies for the zones
to see if that makes a difference.

	-JP