AXFR from Windows 2008R2 failing after upgrading to 9.18

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue May 24 04:55:21 UTC 2022

Firstly upgrade the primary.  Microsoft issued a fix for this March 2019.

Unknown EDNS options are supposed to be ignored and not produce FORMERR.
Named has stopped working around broken servers that return FORMERR to unknown
EDNS options and include the OPT record.  It has also stopped working around
servers that just echo back the request (including the OPT record) when sending
FORMERR when the server doesn’t understand EDNS.  These servers should be
constructing a DNS HEADER from the request with RCODE set to FORMERR and if
the request was a QUERY and they could parse the QUESTION adding that as well
as per RFC 1034.  The DNS header alone is enough to send FORMERR.  No where in
any RFC does it say to echo back the request when sending FORMERR.

FORMERR + OPT indicates the server understands EDNS.

You can workaround this by adding “server 1.1.2.2 { request-expire no; };” to
named.conf.

Mark