Fwd: Request to use "Canonical/Mirror"

Chuck Aurora ca at nodns4.us
Sat May 21 14:43:12 UTC 2022

On 2022-05-17 09:50, Tony Finch wrote:
> I think "master" and "slave" is actively misleading, because the DNS
> protocol does not allow a master to tell a slave to do anything. (The
> closest is NOTIFY which is a hint not a command.)

Furthermore, who serves whom?  It is the "master" which serves zone
data to the "slave".  "Master" makes sense in terms of being the
master copy of zone data, but in that context "secondary" is a better
term for "slave".  And "primary" is good enough.

Actually I think "canonical" and "mirror" are also good terms, except
they made me think this thread was about where to download packages
for Ubuntu! :)

Time and history moves on, as does technical terminology.  I think it
is high time for the world to forgive the Egyptians for holding the
Hebrew people in bondage, and relax about "master/slave" terms.

;)