per record responses based on originating IP

Angus Clarke angus at charworth.com
Thu May 12 12:30:03 UTC 2022

Hello

I'm familiar with Dan Bernstein's aging DNS software. With it I can add location based responses to individual records, so that the DNS can respond differently to a name lookup according to the source network/IP on a per-record basis.

With bind (and others) it seems that DNS views are the way to go, however as far as I understand I have to recreate an entire zone for each view, which seems a bit overkill for a zone of hundreds of records to only have a handful of records responded to differently.

Does bind have some simple way to respond differently based on source address but on a per record basis? Or perhaps include a baseline zone in a view and separately include differences for that view - something like this perhaps?

Thanks
Angus