Determining Which Authoritative Sever to Use (Bob McDonald)

Ben Croswell ben.croswell at gmail.com
Sun May 8 16:57:17 UTC 2022

On the closest server question it will prefer the closest but a certain
percentage will go to servers further away. Additionally depending on the
version of BIND and the distance it could lead to the servers further away
taking more traffic in high QPS situations.

If you are getting high QPS you could fire off a large amount of queries to
the "slower" server before it responds and resets its SRTT. I believe newer
BIND versions have moved away from a static decrement value and has fixed
the issue but even fixes some queries will go out of region.