Determining Which Authoritative Sever to Use

Ben Croswell ben.croswell at gmail.com
Sat May 7 14:29:28 UTC 2022

I can't speak definitively for stub zones, but I would assume it works the
same as NS delegations or forwarding.
A DNS server maintains a listing of smoothed round trip times (SRTT) for
each potential destination.  It uses the SRTT with the lowest value, and
after each successful response all of the SRTTs with a higher value are
decremented.  This is the self-healing mechanism.  Eventually a higher
value will be reduced far enough so it is the lowest and it will be used
and readjusted.  The readjusting will likely make it higher and it would go
back to the original server.  This is a long winded way of saying all of
the servers in the list will take a certain percentage of the overall query
volume.

On Sat, May 7, 2022 at 10:20 AM Bob McDonald <bmcdonaldjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance if this is a trivial question.
>
> Supposing I have an internal IP network (rfc1918)  where there atr local
> caching servers (recursive) which clients connect to and scattered around
> are several authoritative servers  which provide answers for internal only
> zones. Those internal only zones are defined on the caching servers via
> stub zones.
>
> My question is this; how do the recursive servers determine from
> the information in the stub zone which name server to query? And, is that
> the closest (network wise)? Do I need to put anycast into the mix?
>
> TTFN,
>
> Bob
>
> --
> information.