Hell breaks loose in the afternoon with format error from X.X.X.X#53 resolving ./NS: non-improving referral

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri May 6 00:24:52 UTC 2022

It’s a long known issue with so called “Transparent” DNS proxies/accelerators/firewalls.  Iterative resolvers expect to talk to authoritative servers.  They ask questions differently to the way they do when they talk to a recursive server.  Answers from different levels of the DNS hierarchy for the same question are different.  If you just cache and return the previous answer you break iterative lookups.  The answers from recursive servers are different to those from authoritative servers.

You get the same sort of problem in many hotels if you have an iterative resolver on your portable devices.  Switching named to use a public recursive server that supports DNSSEC in forward only mode helps sometimes.  It really depends on what the middleware is doing.

Mark