success resolving xxx after disabling EDNS

Veronique Lefebure veronique.lefebure at cern.ch
Wed May 4 14:17:40 UTC 2022

Thanks Greg and Ondrej,

Many thanks for the pointer to DNS Cookies in BIND 9 (isc.org) https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-01387

I have used https://ednscomp.isc.org/ednscomp/1ba42afa27 to check if  they are compliant, but the answer is ambiguous:

EDNS Compliance Tester
Checking: 'sour.woinsta.com' as at 2022-05-04T13:45:39Z
sour.woinsta.com.: NS lookup failed
Codes
* ok - test passed.

Anyway, from what you have seen you are suspecting that the problem is on the woinsta.com side and not on our side ?

The following indeed indicates a problem related to cookies:

dig @ns1.thednscloud.com. +nocookie sour.woinsta.com A +short
23.82.12.29

while

dig @ns1.thednscloud.com. +cookie sour.woinsta.com A +short
; <<>> DiG 9.11.36 <<>> @ns1.thednscloud.com. +cookie sour.woinsta.com A +short
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: +cmd

I will try send-cookie no for that server to confirm it is the source of the issue.

Cheers,
Veronique