Problems building bind 9.18.1 on FreeBSD

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Fri Mar 25 16:43:34 UTC 2022

On 3/25/22 09:37, The Doctor via bind-users wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 11:49:54AM +0100, Borja Marcos wrote:
>> Following up on this subject, looks like there were substantial changes to the build process for 9.18.1? The port maintainers
>> seem to be having a hard time with it.
>>

> You got that right.
>
> One include is messed up and so are some libraries
> and man pages.

     The entire ISC *preocess* has become gradually more toxic for at
least a decade.  Many systems and architectures are slowly dropped
and they fall to the wayside to be forgotten and abandoned. Regardless
if you have a decent compiler or really substantial processors and
memory and various standard compliant headers etc. One may file a bug
report and then be politely told to go away. Expect that. That is what
will happen. The build process has become more toxic and complicated
and even outright obfuscated to the point that it is hopeless to even
bother looking at a system running FreeBSD on RISC-V or some other UNIX
on just about any architecture. Even Python3 was slammed into the mess
for a code base that was always pure clean portable C. My opinion is
that ISC is all about the "Support Subscription" business and quite
frankly it stopped being any sort of a welcome "community" a long time
ago.  To the point that I now consider it a waste of time to even bother
dealing with BIND.  If it works ( at all ) on the future FreeBSD 13.1
release then be happy and say nothing. Don't expect it to stay that way.
Expect future problems and more toxic traffic until it is all just a
Linux SystemD service.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC