filter queries for A records from some clients

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Mar 10 23:40:04 UTC 2022

I am trying to do some testing of an IPv6-only network here using some
nat64 to reach the "legacy" :-) IPv4 Internet.  My network is currently
dual-stack.

I have dns64 query mapping working, but I am still seeing some clients
that I am trying to test with (that still have IPv4 addresses until the
test proves successful) using IPv4 to the Internet.  I can only surmise
that this is a case where the client did a happy-eyeballs query for
both A and AAAA records and got an A record back first.

To that effort, I want to try filtering out A record queries (or
back whether those are real IPv6 addresses or dns64 mapped addresses.

Is there any way to filter A queries or replies to achieve this goal?

I am noticing the .rpz-ip trigger, but being pretty green at RPZ policy
writing, it's not clear to me if that can be used to filter just A
records.

Cheers,
b.