Bind keeps adding RRSIGs to zone file after switching to dnssec policy

Josef Vybíhal josef.vybihal at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 16:48:39 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,
today I switched more domains from inline-signing do dnssec-policy and
I noticed something that I quite do not like. So I want to ask if
that's normal and if there is a way to stop it from happening.

I had this:
zone "EXAMPLE.com" {
    type master;
    file "master/EXAMPLE.com.zone";
    inline-signing yes;
    auto-dnssec maintain;
    key-directory "keys";
    sig-validity-interval 35 25;
    update-policy {
        grant "ABC" name something.EXAMPLE.com TXT;
        grant local-ddns zonesub any;
    };
};

Switched to this:
zone "EXAMPLE.com" {
    type master;
    file "master/EXAMPLE.com.zone";
    key-directory "keys/EXAMPLE.com";
    dnssec-policy mypolicy;
    update-policy {
        grant "ABC" name something.EXAMPLE.com TXT;
        grant local-ddns zonesub any;
    };
};

Now the EXAMPLE.com.zone itself was reformated and contains RRSIGs
which make it much harder to work with when editing manually - which I
need to do from time to time (while doing rndc freeze + rndc thaw)

I noticed this is only happening when zone allows dynamic updates.
Zones that do not allow dynamic updates are not touched.

I have tried to create a fresh new zone, then sign it and the behavior
is consistent.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there config option, that will tell
bind to stop rewriting that zone file?

My version is 9.16.26.

Thanks
Josef