Forwarding zone, setup

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue Mar 1 18:13:27 UTC 2022

This got held up in moderation. Let me repost it, from my regular mail client...

> You didn’t share much of your configuration except the one forwarded zone, not a lot to go on.

Fair enough. (I guess I thought you could just infer all the needed information! <grin> Oops!)

Let me try Ondrej's static-sub and see if that makes a difference.

As for more detail.
Yeah, it's a recursive resolver, used internally only.
It's also authoritative for the somedomain.local zone.
I simply want(ed) to pass queries for *.ad.somedomain.local to another server(s), so thought the forwarder setup was the right way to do that.

Sorry for being so lame in not providing enough detail - I think I just figured I must be doing something terribly wrong and the forwarder setup must be wrong in some obvious detail I wasn't seeing.
That doesn't appear to be the case, so we'll look again, try static-sub and then re-group if it doesn't work.

Thanks all!

> But one thing to check, you do have recursion enabled on the server?
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 6:34 PM Gregory Sloop <gregs at sloop.net> wrote:

>> Wow. I hate to be the guy who looks the gift horse in the mouth - but that just seems "wrong." :)
>> (Not the answer, but that that would be the way BIND wants it done.)
>>
>> So, now I've got two sets of NS and glue records?
>> Please tell me that's not the way BIND insists you do this!
>>
>> I guess I should try it, but dang.
>> Does anyone know for sure?
>>

>>> Add Delegating NS records:

>>> ab.somedomain.local 3600 NS server1.ab.somedomain.local
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .

>>> And glue records

>>> server1.ab.somedomain.local 3600 A 10.0.0.1
>>> .
>>> .

>>> And see if it works. It’s got something to do with the way the record is matched (or not) before the forward statement is hit.

Gregory Sloop, Principal: Sloop Network & Computer Consulting
Voice: 503.251.0452 x121
EMail: gregs at sloop.net
http://www.sloop.net
---