Unable to start Bind on a fresh RHEL 8.6 system with enforcing SELinux

Sandro lists at penguinpee.nl
Fri Jun 10 15:45:20 UTC 2022

On 10-06-2022 17:21, Reindl Harald wrote:

My apologies if I offended you.

> seriously - about what magic are you talking?
> do you even know what a pidfile is?
>
> it's a simple textfile where the process writes it's PID
> and PIDFile forces systemd to read that file and use the content as
> "Main PID"

Yes, I am aware of what a pidfile is.

So, above would underline my analysis that systemd was not able to read
the pidfile. Possible causes:

1. Configuration issue: named did not write the pidfile to the file
indicated in the unit file by PIDFile

2. SELinux issue: named was not able to write the pidfile, because
SELinux denied access.

> the whole point of my responses was the upstream should reconsider to
> use the option becasue it's proven to be useless no matter what some
> outdated manpage says

I cannot comment on the man page being up to date. But I already agreed
with your point of view, that PIDFile in case of named has become obsolete.

So, I think we are on the same page here.

-- Sandro