Unable to start Bind on a fresh RHEL 8.6 system with enforcing SELinux

Søren Andersen soande at norlys.dk
Fri Jun 10 08:52:27 UTC 2022

Hello,

I've installed a fresh BIND on a RHEL 8.6 system with enforcing SElinux, and when I try to start BIND with the provided systemd unit file it just waits and timeout, and also logs these errors in /var/log/message

Jun 10 10:09:25 systemd[1]: isc-bind-named.service: Can't convert PID files /var/opt/isc/scls/isc-bind/run/named/named.pid O_PATH file descriptor to proper file descriptor: Permission denied
Jun 10 10:09:25 systemd[1]: isc-bind-named.service: Can't convert PID files /var/opt/isc/scls/isc-bind/run/named/named.pid O_PATH file descriptor to proper file descriptor: Permission denied

If I remove PIDFile in the systemd unit it just works fine..

[Service]
Type=forking
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/opt/isc/scls/isc-bind/sysconfig/named
#PIDFile=/var/opt/isc/scls/isc-bind/run/named/named.pid
ExecStart=/opt/isc/isc-bind/root/usr/sbin/named -u named $OPTIONS
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
ExecStop=/bin/kill -TERM $MAINPID
PrivateTmp=true

Anyone else experiences this?