Using nsupdate remotely

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jul 12 21:39:53 UTC 2022

On 7/11/22 11:48 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> I have a remote subnet that has its own DHCP server, but wants to
> update the domain which spans several locations and subnets.
>
> What do I need to do on both ends (remote DHCP server and central
> DNS server) to push updates over?
I would seriously consider secondary DNS server(s) doing zone
transfer(s) at each remote site /and/ *configure* *the* *secondary*
*server(s)* *to* *forward* *updates* *to* *the* *primary* *server* at
the central site.

This would offer some autonomy for both DHCP /and/ /DNS/ in the event
that the connection to the central site was unavailable.  Admittedly
DDNS updates might fail during such an outage, but clients would still
be able to get an IP /and/ /query/ /DNS/.

I know that this isn't quite what you have described / asked about, but
it's what I would consider for such a multi-site installation and I
believe I would be remiss if I didn't at least ask "have you
considered....".  ;-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die