9.18 behavior change for mDNS queries with dig

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Fri Jul 1 12:52:28 UTC 2022

Neither wireshark or nor tcpdump (AFAIK) can return the data in a form suitable for use in a shell script (my need was (emphasis on “was”, I’ve already re-worked my configuration to no longer need the lookup) get the current address of example.local and then use it in the shell script).

In any event, the bug report was submitted and the response was that dig was never intended to be used for mDNS queries and that it did until 9.18 was just luck. Changes made in 9.18 make it no longer work but since that was never a documented use of dig, there are no plans to make it work again. I am satisfied with that response and since my use of dig for mDNS lookups was legacy code in my script that was no longer needed (there was another way to accomplish the end goal of the script), it was a good excuse to clean up the script.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com