"make test" not working?

Ondřej Surý ondrej at isc.org
Mon Jan 31 16:36:28 UTC 2022

> On 31. 1. 2022, at 17:15, Josef Moellers <jmoellers at suse.de> wrote:
> […]

> So, yes: on production builds these options are not enabled, but on the test VMs I must enable them or the tests will not run.

That’s not true and never has been.  The --enable-developer is just a convenience setting for **BIND 9 Developers** that
enables various options - one of them does enable --with-cmocka.

>> Both ‘make test’ and ‘make check’ works as expected.
>
> So ... what did I do wrong?

I have no idea what you are doing to the sources and to the build system.

This works:

$ mkdir /tmp/bind9
$ cd /tmp/bind9
$ curl -sSLO https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.18.0/bind-9.18.0.tar.xz
$ tar -xJf bind-9.18.0.tar.xz
$ cd bind-9.18.0/
$ ./configure
$ make -j
$ make test
[…]
make[7]: Entering directory '/tmp/bind9/bind-9.18.0/bin/tests/system'
PASS: auth
[…]
Testsuite summary for BIND 9.18.0
# TOTAL: 106
# PASS:  106
# SKIP:  0
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  0
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0
make[7]: Leaving directory '/tmp/bind9/bind-9.18.0/bin/tests/system’
[…]
$

If it doesn’t work on your system, it’s something **you** have done to the source tarball as this:

> Making test in misc
> make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/packages/BUILD/bind-9.18.0/doc/misc'
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'test'.  Stop.
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/packages/BUILD/bind-9.18.0/doc/misc'
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:442: test-recursive] Error 1

simply doesn’t happen on vanilla build:

doc/misc$ make test
make: Nothing to be done for 'test’.

I will repeat that again - you should understand what you are doing and why you are doing that - that includes
all your local patches, changes to the default options and any other modifications to the build system.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý (He/Him)
ondrej at isc.org

My working hours and your working hours may be different. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside your normal working hours.